Thursday, March 13, 2008

A yummy treat!


All the sweets I had yesterday made me want to make my own something sweet!
This is a yummy treat that I make about once a week for me and Wally :)
Not only are these granola bars healthy, but they are VERY easy to make and are a good source of protein and other good stuff for you!
Try making these at home and tell me what you think.
Here we go:
Ingredients
1 cup of rolled oats (I use the baking kind)
1/2 cup of raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup of raw chopped almonds
1/4 cup of sesame seeds
3/4 cup of raw flaked coconut (you can use anything to replace the coconut if you want. Like raisins or other dried fruits)
1/2 cup of honey
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 tbls. of butter
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1/2 tsp. of salt


Ok, first things first, pre heat your over to 350 degrees F
Then, gather all of your dry ingredients and place them on a cookie sheet

Like so...

Next, place them in the oven to toast for about 10-15 minutes or until you have a nice pleasant aroma coming from the nuts!

Mmmmm, I this is going to be GOOD!!

After you have toasted your dry ingredients, its time to warm up the wet ingredients!
Place together in a medium sauce pan:
Vanilla
Brown Sugar
Butter
Honey
and salt (Yes, I know this is not a wet ingredient, but go with me on this ok?)



Next, take your toasted dry granola mix out and place it in a bowl.


Get your pans out. I like to use muffin tins for this. It makes nice little bite size bars and I don't have to deal with cutting them into bars. But you can use anything you like!
Take your pans and spray them with a non-stick butter spray, or you can take a stick of butter and wipe the tins with it. Really anything will work, its just so the granola doesn't stick to the pans!


Then take your melted wet ingredients and combine them with your dry mix and stir:


You can add more honey if you like, but don't over do it! The mixture should be crumbly :)

Then scoop your mix into the tins (or pan, what ever you are using) and pat down gently!


After you have filled your tins, pop the tins in the over at 350 degrees and bake for about 10-15 minutes. The final result should be faintly bronzed!



Let them cool completely (if you can), cut into bars or pop them out of the tins and ENJOY!
They are so good even a kitty cat would love them :)


Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

kelly said...

oh i'm so trying this...i may add a little cranberry and orange. are they soft and chewy or hard and crunchy granola?

lil' Miss Cupcake said...

Yum! They look really good!!