Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Give Rice-Get Smart


So last night I found this non-profit site that will donate 10 grains of rice for every word you guess correctly. I thought, well I will try it out for just a second. But a second turned into a minute and a minute turned into an HOUR! This site is so addictive. And not only is it fun, but you are helping to feed hungry people!
Here is the information off their website:
"FreeRice is a sister site of the world poverty site, Poverty.com.

FreeRice has two goals:

Provide English vocabulary to everyone for free.
Help end world hunger by providing rice to hungry people for free.
This is made possible by the sponsors who advertise on this site.

Whether you are CEO of a large American corporation or a street child in India, improving your vocabulary can improve your life. It is a great investment in yourself.

Perhaps even greater is the investment your donated rice makes in hungry human beings, enabling them to function and be productive. Somewhere in the world, a person is eating rice that you helped provide. Thank you."

Here is the link, check it out!
http://www.freerice.com/index.php

At least I don't feel guilty for taking an hour out of my night to play on the internet :) I donated 10 bowls of rice last night. How much did you donate? Leave your donation totals in the comments section!

3 comments:

i love being mrs. r said...

i donated 1,000 grains of rice. in the time i had allotted to play (about 10 minutes). i'll be sure to go back and keep adding!

thanks for the link.

Jaime said...

I only had about a few secondss to do it but I got 280.

Amy Carroll said...

I just donated over 1040 in about 20 minutes. This is a GREAT cause...thanks for posting this Jen! And this is fairly addictive ;)